Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Birthday Gift | Kate - Tissue Anyone?

When we were in the UK this summer visiting my nieces (four girls), one of them had a cute little fabric tissue holder.  I thought, how sweet...and what a great practical thing to have.  And it's small enough to use up those quilting cotton scraps (bonus).
 
 
So when Imogen received a birthday invitation requesting no gifts, I thought this would be a little special something.  We put it into the card even.
 
 
Of course, I had to personalize it in my regular way.  However, I folded the ends under and I found sometimes the pinking of the ends can just look messy after several washings.
 
 
 
I used the pre-packaged packets of tissues, just for convenience.  But when they run out, you can just fold the tissue in there.  I took the plastic packet cover off, so in hindsight, I really didn't need to purchase the pre-packaged packets after all!  Remembering life is a journey, not a destination.
 
 
 
 
I made my own pattern, cutting a piece of cloth 6" x 15".  Then folded in half right sides together, matching the short raw edges, stitching in 1/4" seam.  Then pressed, turned right side out.  Overlapped the short edges about 1/4", then stitched the raw edges, thus forming the pocket. 
 
Here are a couple of photos of the one I saw in the UK.
 
 

 
 
The fabric I used is left over from Imogen's bedroom cushions, and was purchased at our local Prairie Chicks in Hague!

No comments:

Post a Comment