Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Butterfly Tops | Sil 219

Here is another very quick and easy top that I did this spring using Silhouette Patterns 219 - Rachel's Knit Top.  The best bit about this pattern is under the arms.  I've seen this style out there in RTW and it's open under the sleeve -- you can see the person's bra.  Not exactly classy.  But on this pattern it's all about what you don't see.  You don't see your bra under the arm as there is a bit of fabric there, like a normal shirt.  Hurrah for modesty.

You must make this top from a drapey fabric, or the sleeves won't fall correctly.  So I grabbed a printed rayon knit (from Unique Textiles here in Saskatoon) and made it up.  I've had so many compliments on it. 


So I thought - challenge to myself - let's do it in a solid knit.  But on it's own it was too plain.  So I went into my trims and found I had some gross-grain ribbon that was about the same shade.  I just randomly cut strips and placed them on until it looked right to me.  Simply topstiched them down before doing neck hem.  It pulls at the bust a bit -- but won't anymore as I'm smaller.  This is also a rayon knit that I purchased online from Nancy's Notions a couple years ago.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment